Preparing for the Gathering - Genesis 23
Prepare your heart for our Sunday Morning Gathering by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find tangible suggestions for putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body, links to the songs we will sing, and lyrics for you to prepare for our corporate singing.
Please see the Preparing for the Sermon post for suggestions in thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Reread Genesis chapter 23.
- Considering vs. 6: what was Abraham’s relationship with the Hittites? Reflect on your relationship with unbelieving neighbors, family, or coworkers. How does your relationship with them parallel or contrast what we know of Abraham’s relationship with the Hittites?
- How would you describe Abraham’s dialog and reaction to the Hittites, specifically Ephron? What might you have been inclined to do differently, if in Abraham’s circumstances?
- Reference Genesis 15:20, 25:9, 49:29-33, and 50:12-14. How important is this piece of land for the people of Israel? What significance would it hold for the future, beyond Abraham? What significance does this record have for us today?
- Click the links below to find the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; practice the songs, study the lyrics and sing together.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Rob Stouffer: Elders' prayer & scripture reading; Bret Capranica: teaching.
Songs for Sunday
- Lead On, O King Eternal
- All My Ways Are Known to You
- What a Savior
- And Can It Be?
- My Heart Is Filled with Thankfulness