For 2019 our aim is to encourage walking by the Spirit together from Galatians 5.
With the goal that the women of Summit Woods Baptist Church would intentionally pursue, engage, serve, teach, confront, exhort, help and love the other women in the body at Summit Woods Baptist Church according to the pattern set forth in Titus 2:3-5 and Galatians 5, namely "older women teaching what is good and so to train the younger women" to the end "that the word of God may not be reviled" among us.
For more information contact Kelly Capranica.
We have a number of gatherings throughout the year, and gather for a winter conference in February. Click here to register or for more information about the conference.
In response to the feedback we received from our 2017 Summit Woods Women’s retreat in March, we have revised the weekend’s Proverbs 31 Bible study booklet to allow the ladies who were not able to attend the retreat to complete the study as well. While you can go through the study entirely on your own, we strongly encourage you to get together with other ladies to discuss what you have studied and to pray for one another. Our purpose with this study is to begin a conversation that will continue as we encourage and disciple each other to live as godly women who fear the Lord.
Also, you can find recordings of Summit Woods Women's events and retreats on the Summit Woods Women's podcast.
Below you will find resources to assist you.
Titus 2 Women's Groups
Titus 2 Women’s Groups at SW are designed to encourage, facilitate, and spark relationships between older and younger women among our body. Would you consider joining one of the Titus 2 Groups listed here as a further avenue to fellowship with Summit Woods Women?
Titus 2 Women's Group Mondays, 10:00-11:30 am
- Material to discuss: The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges
- Meets twice a month in Lee’s Summit or Greenwood
- Contact Pattie Rogers (816-225-8907; email@example.com)
Titus 2 Women's Group Tuesdays, 10:00 am-12:00 pm
- Material to discuss: Treasuring Christ When Your Hands are Full by Gloria Furman
- Meets every other Tuesday in Peculiar
- Contact Heidi Hurley (405-850-7184; firstname.lastname@example.org)
Titus 2 Women’s Group Wednesdays, 4:30-5:40 pm
- Material to discuss: The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
- Meets weekly in the Fellowship Hall - Room FH401
- Contact Lois House (816-697-2620; email@example.com)
Titus 2 Women’s Group Thursdays, 10:00-11:30 am
- Material to discuss: Humility: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney
- Meets twice a month in Independence
- Contact Nancy Mosley (417-612-0252 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Titus 2 Women’s Group Thursdays, 8:00-9:30 pm
- Material to discuss: Trusting god by Jerry Bridges
- Meets weekly in the Office Class Room at Summit Woods
- Contact Julia Bouvia (816-517-6275; email@example.com)
Titus 2 Women’s Group Fridays, 6:15-7:30 am
- Material to discuss: When I Don’t Desire God, by John Piper
- Meets twice a month in Lee’s Summit
- Contact Michelle McConnell (520-444-2629)
Need a nighttime option or a ministry to your children to participate in a Titus 2 Women's Group?
Consider coming on Wednesdays, 6:30-8:00 pm, Summit Woods Baptist Church in the Church Office!
Adults meet together in the Church Office for a brief overview of a gospel-centered book and then small women's groups meet to discuss the material read and practical application. There is also a significant time of praying for the needs of one another in a small group setting. Options for childcare through our nursery ministry, AWANA, and Grounded Student Ministries are provided.
Recommended Titus 2 Group Reading List
- Let Me Be a Woman, Elisabeth Elliot
- Adorned: Living Out the Beauty of the Gospel Together, Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth
- Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother, Carolyn Mahaney
- Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and Not Be Overwhelmed, Carolyn Mahaney
- True Beauty, Carolyn Mahaney
- Housewife Theologian: How the Gospel Interrupts the Ordinary, Aimee Byrd
- Disciplines of a Godly Woman, Barbara Hughes
- God’s High Calling for Women, John MacArthur
- Different by Design: Discovering God’s Will for Today’s Man and Woman, John MacArthur
- Rediscovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood: A Response to Evangelical Feminism, Piper/Grudem
- The Excellent Wife: A Biblical Perspective, Martha Peace
- Boy Meets Girl: Say Hello to Courtship, Joshua Harris
- Sex and the Supremacy of Christ, John Piper
- When Sinners Say, “I Do”: Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage, Dave Harvey
- This Momentary Marriage, John Piper
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart, Tedd Tripp
- Strengthening Your Marriage, Wayne Mack
- Missional Motherhood: The Everyday Ministry of Motherhood in the Grand Plan of God, Gloria Furman
- Don’t Make Me Count to Three, Ginger Hubbard
- Instructing a Child’s Heart, Tedd & Margy Tripp
- Teach them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training, Lou Priolo
- The Faithful Parent, Martha Peace/Stuart Scott
- Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full, Gloria Furman
- The Fulfilled Family: God’s Design for Your Home, John MacArthur
- Our Sufficiency in Christ, John MacArthur
- Humility: True Greatness, CJ Mahaney
- Discipline: The Glad Surrender, Elisabeth Elliot
- Keep a Quiet Heart, Elisabeth Elliot
- The Discipline of Grace, Jerry Bridges
- The Pursuit of Holiness, Jerry Bridges
- Respectable Sins, Jerry Bridges
- Holiness, JC Ryle
- The Religious Affections, Jonathan Edwards
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life, Donald Whitney
- Praying the Bible, Donald Whitney
- Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Its Cure, D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
- Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds, Jen Wilkin
- The Shaping of a Christian Family, Elisabeth Elliot
- A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael, Elisabeth Elliot
- Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God, Noel Piper
- Twelve Extraordinary Women, John MacArthur
- 21 Servants of Sovereign Joy: Faithful, Flawed, and Fruitful, John Piper
- Knowing God, JI Packer
- Trusting God, Jerry Bridges
- The Joy of Fearing God, Jerry Bridges
- Desiring God, John Piper
- Future Grace: The Purifying Power of the Promises of God, John Piper
- The Pleasures of God, John Piper
- The Holiness of God, RC Sproul
- Fundamentals of the Faith, Grace Community Church
- The Knowledge of the Holy: The Attributes of God, AW Tozer
- Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, Wayne Grudem
- The Attributes of God, AW Pink
- Spiritual Mothering: The Titus 2 Model for Women Mentoring Women, Susan Hunt
- Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands, Paul Tripp
- How People Change, Timothy Lane
- One to One Bible Reading, David Helm
- Reverberation: How God’s Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People, Jonathan Leeman
- Why We Love the Church: In Praise of Institutions and Organized Religion, Kevin DeYoung
- Nine Marks of a Healthy Church, Mark Dever
- The Trellis and the Vine: The Ministry Mind-Shift that Changes Everything, Colin Marshall
- The Gospel and Personal Evangelism, Mark Dever
- Let the Nations Be Glad: The Supremacy of God in Missions, John Piper
SWW 2018 Retreat Recipe Exchange
During the 2018 SWW Retreat ladies submitted their favorite recipes to be collected for your enjoyment! You'll find a copy here.
Let's meditate and memorize Titus 2:3-5 together as Summit Woods Women. See a number of versions below:
3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. (ESV)
3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, 4 so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. (NASB)
3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. (KJV)
3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. (NIV)
Let's listen to or read the following teaching on this passage to help us understand what the Word is saying:
From Summit Woods
- Summit Woods Women's Podcast - All recorded sessions from events and retreats.
- A Gospel-Driven Church: Summit Woods sermon series on the book of Titus.
- Titus 2 Retreat Day: Teaching from the June 27, 2015 Retreat by women of Summit Woods.
- Titus 2 Morning Fellowship: Teaching, by Bret Capranica, from the August 29, 2015 Morning Fellowship
- Walking in Titus 2 - June 4 Retreat Day: Audio from the June 4, 2016 Retreat (Transcript from Session 2: Q&A)
- Walking in Titus 2 - August 27 Retreat Day: Audio from the August 27, 2016 Retreat
From John MacArthur
- God's Plan for Older Men and Older Women, John MacArthur
- God's Plan for Younger Women, Part 1, John MacArthur
- God's Plan for Younger Women, Part 2, John MacArthur
From Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
Helpful conversations on biblical womanhood: