Preparing for the Sermon - Revelation 2:18-29 (Part 2)January 31, 2024 Preparing for Sunday
PREPARE YOUR HEART FOR THE SERMON BY LOOKING THROUGH THESE SUGGESTIONS THAT WILL ASSIST YOU IN MAKING THE MOST OF OUR TIME TOGETHER HEARING GOD'S WORD.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Revelation 2:18-29 with specific attention given to 22-29.
- What are the consequences for a lack of repentance by Jezebel and her followers?
- What is some of the reasoning behind these consequences? (see Revelation 2:23b)
- What might the significance of the use of “churches” plural instead of “church” singular be in verse 23?
- To what are those in the church of Thyatira to hold fast to? What does this mean about the church as a whole?
- Is this church completely compromised? Is there hope? How do you know? Support your answer from the text.
- What does it mean to “rule with a rod of iron?” Support your answer with Scripture.
- What impact might it have on your life if you lived as though God searches the minds and hearts of his churches? How does that motivate you? List out several answers.
- Read and meditate on Psalm 2. What is the significance of this psalm being quoted/referenced in the letter to the church of Thyatira?
- Consider the condition “he who keeps my deeds until the end” found in verse 26. How does Psalm 121:3-8 offer encouragement to believers in light of this condition?