Preparing for the Sermon - Selected Texts from the Bible on Homosexuality
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the topic of homosexuality, meditating on the passages from the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the topic to be preached this Sunday.
- Read the following passages. Look for connecting themes across all of the passages related to homosexuality. Genesis 1, Leviticus 18, Leviticus 20, Romans 1, 1 Timothy 1, 1 Corinthians 6.
- Identify the specific verses within each passage above that regard homosexuality. Is this an Old Testament issue only? How does the New Testament address this sin?
- Is homosexuality listed with any other sins in these passages? List a few that are found across the chapters. Is homosexuality seen as worse than these other sins? What is at the core of all of these sins? The primay cause of all sin is rejection of God in unbelief.
- Reviewing Leviticus, what is the call of God's people and why? To be Holy because He is Holy. How is this different, or is it, from 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy?
- What was to be the response to those found in this sin in these passages? What is the response to all the sins found in these passages?
- The Sermon Study equipping class notes are available online for anyone wanting to dig deeper. Please review this week's notes to help study this passage. Click here for the notes.
- Prayerfully reflecting on these passages and examining your own heart, how are any of us like those found in homosexuality? (1 Timothy 1:12-14)
- The gospel is the only things that can change the heart of any sinner. How should we approach those in homosexuality with the gospel? Is it different than any other unbeliever?
- How should we approach professing believers in our church that are found in the unrepentant sin of homosexuality? How should that be different than other unrepentant sins found in the body of our church?
- Pray for understanding and clarity on God's desire for his people to be among those in the world who are in unrepentant homosexuality. Pray for a heart that is burdened with the lost to come to salvation through faith alone in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, no matter their sin.
- Examine your own actions. What is the motive of your heart in everything you do? Pray for the Spirit who washes, sanctifies and justifies to reveal to you sin that is causing you to rebel and be in dis-fellowship with the body of Christ.