Preparing for the Sermon - Selected Scriptures
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read 1 Corinthians 12.
- What is the meaning of the word church?
- How is the body to treat weaker members according to this passage? (See verses 20-26)
- Who does the church represent as a gathering?
- What does it mean to be the body of Christ?
- What are the roles that God appoints in Christ’s church? (See verse 28)
- Read 1 Corinthians 3:16-17.
- What does it mean to be the temple of the Holy Spirit?
- Read: Ephesians 2:18-22, 1 Peter 2:4-5
- How are we given fellowship as citizens with the saints?
- How does the church grow into a holy temple in the Lord?
- What does it mean that Christ is the corner stone?
- Read Acts 2:42.
- What was the early church devoted to?
- Read 1 Thessalonians 5:12-22
- How does this passage inform your view of fellowship?
- How are members of the congregation to treat those in leadership?
- How are members of the congregation to treat each other?
- Why does the church gather?
- What is the purpose of spiritual gifts? How do they benefit the church?
- What does/should fellowship look like in the church according to Scripture?
- What are some of the applications of biblical fellowship?
- Of the activities that take place in the church, how many of them are solely for personal benefit?
- How do these passages instruct us to live in unity as the body of Christ?