Preparing for the Sermon - Romans 12:3-8
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Reviewing from the previous weeks, read 1 Corinthians 12:1-11, think on the explanation and understanding gained on spiritual gifts and what kinds of spiritual gifts these verses cover.
- Read through the passage for this week, Romans 12:3-8. Identify any similarities in the passages of Romans 12:3-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:1-11. From both passages, list the source of the gifts, list the gifts themselves, and list the purpose for the gifts.
- In verses 3 of Romans 12 what has Paul been given that allows him to speak warnings and commands? What is the warning and command?
- Verse 3 and 6 have similar language dealing with gifting. Identify the similarities and differences. Does this indicate anything about Paul in relation to other believers? What is the grace that Paul is speaking of?
- Comparing the gifts between Romans 12 and 1 Corinthians 12 what are the main differences? Similarities? What does this indicate? If we look into 1 Peter 4:7-11, which was preached last Sunday night, how are these gifts related to Romans 12 and 1 Corinthians 12?
- The Sermon Study equipping class notes are available online for anyone wanting to dig deeper. Please review this week's notes to help study this passage. Click here for the notes.
- In verse 3 what does it mean according to the measure God has assigned? What does that say about the gifts we are given? Can we exhibit a gift less than someone else who has a similar gift? How should we respond if we have less? How should we respond if we have more?
- Verses 4 and 5 describe the body of Christ, if we do not not have the same function in the body what is the purpose of differing gifts in one body? How do you perceive your gifts in relation to differing gifts in the church? Can you exhibit more than one gift? Can you exhibit no gifts?
- How do you know what your gifts are? Pastor indicated a spiritual survey is not needed and not helpful. What can you do to determine?