Preparing for the Sermon - Matthew 2:13-23
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- What was Joseph commanded to do in his dream?
- What was Joseph’s response to God’s command? How would you characterize his response?
- Who does Herod order to be killed?
- When does the angel appear to Joseph a second time?
- Why does Joseph hesitate to cross into Judea and settle there?
- Why might they have been commanded to travel all the way to Egypt?
- What do Herod’s actions here tell us about his reason for wanting the magi to report to Him in verse 8?
- What are some of the theological implications of Herod’s evil actions fulfilling OT prophecy?
- How is Joseph’s dream of verse 22 from all the other dreams he’s had in this passage?
- Why do you think Matthew was so interested in telling his readers about all the various prophecies that Jesus fulfilled?