Preparing for the Sermon - Mark 2:14-17
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Mark 2:1-17. What are the actions of Jesus communicated in vs. 14? Who does he call? How is Levi described?
- What does Jesus call Levi to do? What does this mean?
- How does Levi respond to the call?
- Who is Jesus eating with in vs. 15? What is their relationship to Jesus? Why is this significant?
- What is surprising to the Pharisees in vs. 15-16? Why is this surprising to them?
- How does Jesus explain his actions in vs. 17? What was Jesus’ stated purpose for coming to the earth in vs. 17?
- What is required in the command to follow Jesus? What does this entail?
- What does this call assume about us? What does it assume about Jesus?
- What does it say about Jesus that he was willing to eat with tax collectors and sinners? How should this impact your life and who you spend time with?