Preparing for the Sermon - Luke 1:26-45
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Luke 1:26-45.
- What was the message given by the angel Gabriel? How did Mary first respond to the visit of the angel? How did Gabriel comfort her during the visit?
- What all did Gabriel reveal about her son?
- What was the problem Mary brought up in vs. 34? How was this addressed? What other supernatural work did Gabriel refer to?
- How did Mary view herself and the upcoming event? What encouragement did Elizabeth give to Mary?
- What is stated about the power and duration of Mary’s son’s life and work?
- Why did Mary visit Elizabeth? Where did the encouragement Elizabeth gave come from?
- Consider how Mary could have responded differently to this unusual news. Could a different response have changed the ultimate outcome? Why or why not?
- What did Elizabeth’s response and encouragement reveal she knew about the upcoming event and the seriousness of it?