Preparing for the Sermon - John 19:16-42
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read John 19:16-42. What is the emphasis of this section?
- Skim through John 18:28-19:15. What continues to come up in the accusations of the Jews and the questions of Pilate that comes up again in 19:16-22? Why is this sign significant, even though it was placed there in insult and mockery?
- What Psalm is referred to as fulfilled in v. 24? Why is this significant? What is that Psalm about?
- What is the significance of vv. 25-27? What does this tell us about Jesus?
- What is Jesus referring to in v. 30 when he said, “it is finished”?
- Why does John tell us recorded this in v. 35? What explanation does he offer in vv. 36-37? Where is John quoting from in these verses?
- What are some reasons that vv. 38-42 are recorded?
- What does “atonement” mean?
- What does this text teach us about the death of Christ? What do these verses teach us about his “atonement”?
- What do Christ’s words of “it is finished” teach us about what he thought concerning his atoning work?
- What do the cited OT texts in this passage teach us concerning Jesus’ atoning work?