Preparing for the Sermon - John 16
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- According to Jesus, why is it to our advantage that He goes away? (v. 7)
- When the Helper comes in the world, concerning what three things will He convict the world? (v. 8)
- Why will the Helper convict the world concerning sin? Righteousness? Judgment?
- How does the Holy Spirit communicate God’s truth to believers? (v.13)
- According to verse 14, who does the Spirit glorify? How does he accomplish that?
- Why is it better to have the Holy Spirit’s presence in the world rather than Jesus?
- How does the Holy Spirit convict the world concerning sin, righteousness, and judgment? Can you think of specific ways in which He has done this in your life?
- How would you characterize the nature of the relationship between Jesus and the Holy Spirit?
- How do these verses help us accurately discern the true work of the Holy Spirit in the world?