Preparing for the Sermon - John 10:30-39
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read John 10:30-39.
- What was Jesus’ claim and how did the Jews view it? What were the Jews attempting to do?
- What evidence did Jesus cite to prove his claim? What “works” do you think he was referring to?
- Where did Jesus say he came from? How does he describe his relationship with God?
- Read Psalm 82:6. How did Jesus use that passage? What is his point in vs. 35-36?
- How did the Jews respond to Jesus’ assertion?
- What are some claims that you’ve heard made by others about who Christ is or was? Have you heard of anyone else who personally claimed to be Christ? In light of this text, why would any claim be spurious?
- Why do you think the Jews were against Jesus’ claim?
- Have you personally heard Psalm 82:6 or parts of this passage misinterpreted to perpetuate a false view of God and humanity? What should your response be to this?
- To what extent has Jesus’ claim affected your own life?
- How have or could you defend Jesus’ claim to divinity, from this or other passages?