Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 9:6-10
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 9:1-10. What is being described in this section? What did vv. 1-5 focus on? What transition takes place in v. 6?
- What are the priests performing according to v. 6? How often are they performing this worship according to v. 6?
- What is the contrast between v. 6 and 7? What stipulations and guidelines are expressed in v. 7 regarding entering the holy of holies? Why was there such restriction?
- What are vv. 8-9 expressing? What limitation is expressed in v. 9? What is the reason offered for the limitation in v. 10?
- What is the overall significance of Old Covenant worship expressed in these verses?
- What are the limitations of Old Covenant worship exposed by these verses?
- How would these verses have struck the original audience of Jewish readers?
- Read vv. 11-28. How do vv. 1-10 setup the rest of this chapter?