Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 9:15-22
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 9:1-22. What is the argument of vv. 1-14? How does v. 15 relate to what preceded it?
- What is Jesus’ role in the New Covenant according to v. 15? What is the purpose of his mediatorial role?
- How do vv. 16-17 further explain Jesus’ role? How do vv. 18-21 give us the OT background for the role of blood in inaugurating a covenant?
- How does v. 22 tie together the shedding of blood of OT sacrifices with Christ’s shedding of his own blood?
- Consider what this passage is highlighting as a whole. How does the main idea fit into the argument of the larger section in Hebrews?
- What is a mediator? What does Jesus do as mediator according to this section in light of the OT background?
- How does this passage highlight the necessity of Jesus’ death in order for him to be our mediator?
- What does Jesus offer as our mediator in light of v. 22? How is (or is) the forgiveness he offers different than the forgiveness of OT saints?