Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 9:13-14
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 9:13-14.
- What three animals are listed as being a part of old covenant sacrifice? Where are these taken from in the OT?
- What do the blood and ashes of animals cleanse, according to verse 13?
- What has the blood of Christ cleansed? What has our conscience been cleansed from?
- For what purpose has our conscience been cleansed?
- What does it mean that the blood and ashes “sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh?”
- In what way did Christ offer himself “through the eternal Spirit?”
- Why was it necessary for Jesus to be “without blemish”?
- Why is the cleansing of the conscience greater than the cleansing of the flesh?
- Why is it important that we are cleansed “to serve the living God?”
- What service does the author of Hebrews have in mind?