Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 9:1-5
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 9:1-5 (include 8:1-6 for context if needed). What were the parts of the tabernacle structure which Moses was commanded to build? Read Exodus 40:17-35 for more detail.
- For what purpose was this tabernacle built?
- List the items placed in the tabernacle. What overall purpose did these serve?
- What were the “tables (or tablets) of the covenant”? (Also see Deut. 9:10-11)
- Why do you think the author brings this up at this point?
- Specifically from Exodus 40:17-35, what is emphasized regarding the building of the tabernacle? Why is that significant?
- Considering the purpose of the tabernacle and its regulations: why were the “tables (or tablets) of the covenant” significant?
- Could understanding the details of worship under the old covenant effect our worship today? If so, how?