Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 8:1-6
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 8:1-6. How does v. 1 serve as a review? Where have we specifically seen these ideas in Hebrews? What is being contrasted in v. 2?
- What is the explanation for the contrast in vv. 3-5? What is the sacrifice Jesus offered? What is the implicit statement made by v. 5? Where does Jesus serve as high priest?
- Why is Jesus’ priesthood superior to the Levitical priests according to v. 6? What is Jesus’ role according to v. 6? What covenants are being referred to in v. 6? How do vv. 9-13 serve to explain v. 6?
- Consider and think on the work of our high priest as we’ve seen it so far in the book of Hebrews.
- How is the location of his work as a high priest significant?
- Consider life under the old covenant. What would be the personal impact of the high priest on an individual? Contrast that with the impact of the work of Christ as heavenly high priest.
- How is Jesus’ ministry more excellent? How is the new covenant better? How are the new covenant promises better?