Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 1:4-7
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 1. What is the main point of this section in the book of Hebrews? How does Hebrews 1:4-7 fit into this larger section?
- What comparison does the author begin to draw in v. 4? Why might he need to draw such a comparison?
- What is the contrast being drawn out in v. 5? What passages is the author pulling from here? What is the author highlighting about Jesus by citing these verses?
- What contrast in being drawn in vv. 6-7? What do these verses definitively display?
- What is the major contrast the author is making between Jesus and the angels? What difference does this make? Why does he include this in his argument?
- What does the Sonship of Christ tell us about who he is? Who else is like him? How does this impact who we listen to?
- What is the role of Jesus vs. the role of angels in vv. 6-7? Who is superior, therefore who should we listen to?