Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 13:1-6
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 13:1-6. Recall the structure of the book of Hebrews and the argument that has been made to this point. How does this passage relate to the previous one?
- What are the imperatives listed in these verses? Who are the objects of the various imperatives? What is the common thread?
- How are the commands further described? What reasons are given? How are they to be carried out? Why are they to be obeyed?
- Consider the circumstances of the original readers. How does this shape the urgency and intentionality of these instructions?
- How do the reasons given for obedience here motivate your obedience?
- How does the whole book of Hebrews inform these commands?
- Consider what it would look like to carry out these commands in your life.