Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 12:1-2
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 11:1-12:2. Describe the connection of ch.11 with ch. 12.
- What are the commands in 12:1? What reason is given for obeying these commands?
- What is an “encumbrance”? Is this different from “sin”? If so, how?
- What does the author mean when he says, “let us run”? How are we supposed to “run” according to v. 1?
- Who are we supposed to fix our eyes on? Why? How is Jesus described in v. 2?
- How should the reality that Jesus is “the author and perfector of our faith” encourage us to run?
- How does Jesus’ perseverance instruct ours?
- How does Heb 12:1-2 instruct us about living by faith?