Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 11:8-12
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 11:8-12.
- Who are the examples of living by faith in this section?
- What is the relationship between Abraham’s faith and his obedience described in v. 8? How did Abraham obey according to v. 8?
- How did Abraham live in the land according to v. 9? Why did he live this way according to v. 10?
- What is the relationship between God’s actions and Sarah’s in vv. 11-12?
- Consider the faith and obedience of Abraham here. What would it have been like to be in his shoes? Describe his faith.
- What/who/when was Abraham’s faith focused on?
- What is the relationship between the physical land of Canaan and the eternal land Abraham looked forward to according to this passage?
- Consider how Sarah’s faith is described at the end of v. 11. How is this a helpful description of faith?