Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 11:29-31
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 11:29-31. Whose faith is being highlighted in this section?
- How did the Israelites pass through the Red Sea? Why would this require faith? Why did the Egyptians drown when they attempted it?
- How did the walls of Jericho fall down? Why would it require faith to walk around the walls of Jericho for seven days?
- What is highlighted about Rahab in v. 31? How do you see her faith on display in Joshua 2?
- How are the rest of the citizens of Jericho described in Heb 11:31? How does this help us see the relationship between faith and obedience?
- How do these examples of living by faith fit in the context of Heb 10:32-39 and Heb 12:1-3? What driving force did the author of Hebrews intend to bring to bear upon the readers with these three examples?
- What characterizes the faith of all three examples in these verses?
- How are these three examples of faith helpful for your perseverance in the faith?
- How can you strive to walk by faith in the ways highlighted in these verses?