Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 11:23-29
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 11:23-29. What is the main topic of this passage? For context read Exodus 2:1-15 and 12:21-29.
- From the passage in Hebrews, how are Moses’ actions described?
- How did Moses set his priorities?
- Specifically from vs. 24-26, what did Moses give up to live as he did? Contrasted with that, what was he looking to gain in living as he did?
- How were the lives of the Hebrews in Egypt changed by the faith of Moses?
- In light of vs. 26, how do you think Moses had an understanding of “the reproach of Christ”?
- Why are Moses’ actions in vs. 28-29 listed as actions of faith when they were actually direct commands from God that Moses obeyed?
- In what aspects of your life to you see yourself as living by faith? In what aspects are you not?
- From what you recall of the Exodus account as a whole, what did Moses risk in living by faith?