Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 11:1-3
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 11:1-3. How are these verses connected to the previous section? Where else have we seen a section start with “Now” in the book of Hebrews?
- What is the role of faith according to 10:39? How is faith defined in 11:1?
- What does v. 2 mean when it says that the men of old “gained approval” by faith?
- What is the relationship between faith and understanding according to v. 3?
- What is faith according to v. 1?
- How is faith necessary for perseverance according to these verses? How does faith lead to approval?
- How does the relationship between faith and understanding expressed in v. 3 impact how you think?