Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 10:5-10
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 10:5-10. How does the “therefore” at the beginning of v. 5 connect vv. 1-4 with vv. 5-10? Who is the “He” of v. 5?
- Where does the quote in vv. 5-7 come from? How does the original context of this Psalm shape how the author of Hebrews uses it here?
- What is the point of v. 8 and the first part of v. 9? Noting this order, what does the author conclude in the second half of v. 9?
- What is the “will” referred to in v. 10? (Hint: where has “will” appeared so far in the passage?) What happens by the carrying out of this will? Why is that significant in light of vv. 1-4?
- Prayerfully consider how the offering of the body of Christ altered the sacrificial system. Why was this necessary and how does this benefit us?
- How does the once for all offering of Christ compare to the continual offerings of the Mosaic Covenant? What is the benefit for the recipient?
- Prayerfully consider what “shadows” might you still be looking to for acceptance with God? How does this passage encourage you to look only to Christ?