Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 10:32-39
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 10:32-39
- What is the command in verse 32?
- What are they to remember?
- What are the former days?
- What is meant by the phrase “after being enlightened?”
- Why did they respond this way?
- What is the better and lasting possession? How do other passages such as Matthew 6:19-21 and 1 Peter 1:3-4 shape your view of this possession?
- What is the urging of verse 35?
- Where is the quote in verses 37-38 from?
- What is the context of Habakkuk 2.
- Which coming is this passage talking about, and who is coming?
- The people of God are known not for what according to verses 37-39?
- What happens to those who shrink back according to v. 39?
- What happens to those who have faith according to v. 39?
- What were the conflicts and sufferings that they endured?
- What was their response to these sufferings?
- How does the willingness of these individuals to align with those being persecuted speak to the confidence they had in Christ?
- Why should these readers not throw away their confidence?
- What is the great reward? Is this reward accessible now or in the future?
- Why do you think the author of Hebrews included the quote from Habakkuk?
- What should the people of God be marked by according to verse 37-39?