Preparing for the Sermon - Hebrews 10:26-31
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 10:26-31. What does “for” at the beginning of vs. 26 refer to?
- What is the topic of this passage? What warning is given and how serious is it? What is specifically stated about the sin that elicits this warning?
- Describe the comparable warning given in vs. 28 from Deuteronomy 17:2-6. What specific sin is addressed in Deuteronomy? What makes the warning to the Hebrews different?
- What does this deliberate or “willful” sinning reveal about one’s view of Christ? How is this vividly described in vs. 29?
- What about Christ would elicit such a severe warning? What do you know from the context of Hebrews so far that helps illuminate why this warning is given?
- Describe the implication of the last half of vs. 26.
- What punishment could be more severe, as referenced in vs. 29, than the consequence in vs. 28?
- What comes to mind when “vengeance” is referenced? How would you describe vs. 31?