Preparing for the Sermon - Heb. 5:1-4
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Hebrews 5:1-4. How does the high priest receive their role, according to v. 1?
- What are the stated duties of the high priest?
- What two types of people does the high priest act on behalf of? How is he to interact with them?
- For which two parties does the high priest offer sacrifices for sins?
- Who appoints the high priest to their role, according to verse 4?
- What kinds of gifts and sacrifices would the high priest offer?
- What does it mean that the high priest was to “deal gently” with the ignorant and misguided?
- How might the high priests have been tempted to not treat the people gently as he ought?
- What might be the author’s purpose in referencing Aaron in this passage?
- How is Jesus, our great high priest, similar to the high priests of verses 1-4? How is he different?