Preparing for the Sermon - Heb. 1:3-4
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- What three things are true of Jesus according to verse 3?
- How does verse 3 tell us that Jesus upholds the universe?
- What did Jesus do regarding our sin?
- Where is Jesus seated now, after making purification for sins?
- What is Jesus’s relationship to angels? How does he compare to them?
- What does it mean for Jesus to be the radiance of the Father’s glory?
- What does it mean that Jesus is the imprint of God’s nature? Why is it important that Jesus is the exact imprint of the Father’s nature?
- Where else in the Bible do we see references to sitting at the right hand of God? What is the significance of this phrase in the context of these verses?
- Why do you think it was important for the author to emphasize that Jesus became superior to the angels?
- What things are we tempted to elevate to a status similar of close to the status of Jesus like the recipients of Hebrews were doing with angels?