Preparing for the Sermon - Genesis: Book of Beginnings (Part 1)
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Genesis 1:1-23. What existed before God began his creation?
- How did God bring his creation into existance each of the first five days? What is unique about each of those days? What was God's observation at the end of each of those days?
- What specific provisions in this account do you recognize as necessary for the sustainability of human life?
- What new detail did you notice that you had not previously recognized in the account of God's creation?
- Do you often think about the biblical account of creation when you observe nature? How much of the world as we know it would exist if it were not for the types of things listed in the account of creation?
- What aspect of this portion of creation are you especially thankful for? Which do you overlook or neglect in your times of thankfulness to God?