Preparing for the Sermon - Genesis 50
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- What did Jacob make Joseph swear to him before he died? See 50:5, 13. (Also 47:29-30 and 49:29-30)
- Why is Abraham’s name mentioned in verse 13?
- What did Joseph’s brothers fear would happen to them once their father died? See verse 15.
- How did Joseph respond to his brothers’ concern? See verses 17, 19-21.
- Read Gen 12:2-3. According to Gen. 50:20b, how is the Lord keeping the promise he made to Abraham?
- What significance might we find in Joseph’s response to his father’s death? (Think back to the naming of Joseph’s sons in Gen. 41:51-52)
- Read Gen 50:19 and compare it to Gen 3:5. What similarities/differences do you see between Joseph’s desires and Eve’s desires? Hint: pay attention to similar language/phrases used.
- What significance might we see in the similarity of Jacob and Joseph’s burial requests? Meditate on the source of their hope. See 49:29-30 and 50:24-25.