Preparing for the Sermon - Genesis 49
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Genesis chapter 49. What is Jacob relaying to his sons?
- Which sons received favorable news? Which received what you would consider unfavorable news?
- Which blessing contained the most significant content about the Messiah?
- How is the message to Joseph different than what his other brothers received? Are there similarities to any others?
- What are Jacob’s instructions to his sons? How does this chapter end?
- Consider the variety of messages Israel gave each of his sons; some favorable, some not. How might they be adjusted if there were concern for the modern emphasis on equality? How much of the content would remain?
- How would the sons’ actions from the past impact their future, according to Jacob?
- Where was Jacob expecting to go? Why do you think he expected that?
- Consider how each of these blessing carried a prophetic message that we see unfolded in the rest of the OT and the NT.
- What is the significance of these blessings for us today?