Preparing for the Sermon - Genesis 43
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Genesis 43.
- Where were the sons of Israel at the beginning of the chapter and what were their circumstances? What dilemma did they face?
- Why was another trip to Egypt required? How long does it appear to have taken them to return to Egypt (vs. 2 and 10)?
- Why were the brothers so concerned about the money left in their sacks? What was the answer given by the house steward?
- Describe the circumstances of the brothers by the end of the chapter.
- What could be the reasoning for Israel’s reluctance to send Benjamin to Egypt as requested? What would have been at stake if Benjamin did not go.
- Why do you think Joseph continued to conceal his identity from his brothers?
- Describe how Joseph responded to Benjamin differently than when he first saw his other brothers in chapter 42. Why do you think this was the case?
- What do Joseph’s responses reveal about his view of his brothers?