Preparing for the Sermon - Genesis 37July 22, 2020 Preparing for Sunday
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Genesis chapter 37. Who is the main focus of this chapter and what is stated about him in vs. 1-4?
- Describe Joseph’s relationships with his father and his brothers?
- What did Joseph relay to his brothers that made them upset? What response did his brothers rationalize?
- How did Joseph’s brothers respond to him? How did they cover it up?
- Why was Reuben upset in vs. 29-30? (see vs. 21-22) How did Joseph’s father respond to the news he received?
- How did Joseph’s father view him compared to his other sons and why? How did this affect Joseph’s relationship with his brothers?
- What actions further affected Joseph’s relationship with his brothers?
- To whom was Joseph sold and why is this significant?
- Describe the injustices that appear in this chapter. In what state are Joseph, his father, and his brothers when the account of this chapter ends?