Preparing for the Sermon - Genesis 27
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Genesis chapter 27. Who is involved in this scene? Read Genesis 25:19-28 for background.
- Describe the details involved in the deception that Jacob carried out. What was at stake for Jacob?
- What did Isaac notice when Jacob appeared to him and why do you think he continued with the blessing?
- Describe the details of the blessing.
- What else did Esau refer to in vs. 36? (See Genesis 25:29-34)
- What did Esau receive instead of the intended blessing? How did he respond and how did this affect the relationship between Jacob and himself?
- Why do you think Isaac instructed Esau to feed him in order to receive the blessing?
- Why do you think Rebekah wanted Jacob to receive this blessing rather than Esau?
- Have you ever been involved in a deception that brought benefit to someone other than intended? What was your role in it? What was the end result?
- What role did this deception play in fulfilling the prophecy of Genesis 25?
- How do you rationalize these type of human decisions being used in God’s plan?