Preparing for the Sermon - Genesis 22
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- What is Genesis 22 about according to v. 1?
- Why do you think God tested Abraham in light of our recent studies of Gen 20 and 21?
- What does God instruct Abraham to do in v. 2? How does God describe Isaac in this verse? Why is this command so shocking in light of Abraham’s story so far?
- What is Abraham’s response leading up to the land of Moriah?
- Specifically, what do his responses in v. 5 and v. 8 reveal?
- What was the extent of Abraham’s faith as revealed in his actions in v. 10
- Describe Abraham’s actions in v. 13.
- What is God’s response to Abraham’s obedient faith in vv. 11-19?
- The Sermon Study equipping class notes are available online for anyone wanting to dig deeper. Please review this week's notes to help study this passage. Click here for the notes.
- What is this passage primarily about? What verses in the text highlight this?
- What is revealed about Abraham’s faith in this passage?
- What is revealed about God in this passage?
- What was God’s response to Abraham’s faith?
- What do you think vv. 20-24 have to do with this narrative in light of chapter 23?