Preparing for the Sermon - Genesis 16July 18, 2018 Preparing for Sunday
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Genesis chapter 16. What problem did Sarai recognize and relay to Abram?Why was this such a big problem for them? Who did she blame?
- What was Sarai’s solution to this problem? What were Abram’s responses throughout this passage? For what specific reasons was this solution not the best idea?
- How did Hagar’s role change throughout this passage? What were her responses?
- What was the response from the angel of the Lord? What was promised to Hagar?
- Considering the past context and the promises made to Abram concerning his offspring (Genesis 12:7, 13:15-16, 15:5), why do you think Sarai blamed God for their current situation (Genesis 16:2)? When have you blamed God for something that had a major implication for your life? What was the result of that?
- Examine Abram’s responses throughout this passage. What do they reveal about his faithfulness to his roles in his marriage and as leader of his people?
- Why do you think the angel of the Lord responded to Hagar the way he did?
- Just from this passage, compare all the negative results with any positive results of Sarai’s plan.