Preparing for the Sermon - Galatians 5:16-24
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Review last weeks sermon dealing with Ephesians 5:18 and the filling of the Holy Spirit.
- Read the text for this week, Galatians 5:16-24. What is the difference between being filled with the Spirit and walking by the Spirit, or is there a difference?
- How can the desires of the flesh be against the Spirit and keep you from what you want to do? If you are filled with the Spirit (indwelling) you are saved and have a new heart. Why is that those who are living in the desires of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God?
- Why are verses 22 and 23 labeled fruits of the Spirit and what does that mean to be a fruit? Who has the fruits of the Spirit?
- Are these the only fruits of the Spirit, can you find anywhere else in Scripture where there are other fruits?
- How do walking in the Spirit and belonging to Christ Jesus relate? What is the result of belonging to Christ in verse 24? What does this relate to in the previous verses?
- If the Holy Spirit indwells a believer can they ever sin? Who are you going against when you do?
- What does sin do to the Holy Spirit that is dwelling in you?
- How do you have fruit from this passage? Is it walking by the Spirit or being led by the Spirit?
- How can you walk or be led by the Spirit?
- Do you see any evidence in your life that you are walking or being led by the Spirit? How would you know?