Preparing for the Sermon - Ephesians 5:22-33
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Ephesians 5:22-33.
- What does it mean for a wife to subject herself to her husband as to the Lord?
- Why are wives to do this? When are wives to do this?
- Why is Christ called the head of the church? What does the image of Christ as the head of the church teach us about Christ?
- To what extent are wives to subject themselves to their husbands?
- How are husbands supposed to treat their wives?
- Why are husbands to do this? When are they to do this?
- Who is the example that husbands are to follow when they love their wives?
- Why are husbands supposed to love their wives according to this text?
- What does it mean to love one’s wife as he loves his own body?
- Why does a man leave his father and mother to be joined to his wife?
- What does it mean to become one flesh?
- How does marriage model the gospel?
- How can a husband sanctify his wife? What does that look like practically?
- How can a wife respect her husband? What does that look like practically?
- What does this passage teach us about Christ’s relationship with the church?
- What does this passage teach us about biblical self love? How is this different from the world’s view of self love?