Preparing for the Sermon - Colossians 1:14-20
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Colossians 1:13-20. Who is the main topic of this passage? How is this person described?
- What is specifically stated about this person’s relationship to God? What about his relationship to creation?
- From vs. 2, who is the author’s original audience? What can you conclude about this person’s relationship to that original audience and their view of him?
- What does it mean in vs. 18 when he is referred to as the “first born”? (Reference Romans 8:29)
- What all has this person done, as described in these verses?
- What specifically has God done for us through him (vs. 13, 14 and 20)? How did he “make peace”?
- From this passage, what do you conclude would be possible without Christ?
- What is your profession of Christ and your relationship to him? Does that match what is stated about him in this passage?
- What insight does this passage add to your view of creation?
- How does this passage speak to the sovereignty of God? Does your view of God’s sovereignty match this passage?
- How does your life reflect the hope offered in this passage?