Preparing for the Sermon - Acts 17:1-9
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Look back briefly at chapter 16. Who is the “they” of verse 1?
- How many times did Paul go and speak with the Thessalonian Jews?
- According to verse 4, what was one result of Paul’s preaching?
- According to verse 5, what was a second result of Paul’s preaching?
- What was the nature of the Jews’ accusations against Jason?
- According to verse 3, to what two things did Paul give evidence regarding Jesus Christ?
- Verse 3 says that Christ “had to” suffer and rise again. Why did He “have to” do those things?
- What do you think the Jews were jealous of?
- In verse 6, the Jews say that these men “have upset the world.” What does this say about the reputation of Paul and Silas throughout the region?
- What do you suspect was the nature of the pledge that Jason and the others gave to the authorities?