Preparing for the Sermon - 2 Tim 3:16-17
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read 2 Tim 3:10-17. What purpose do vv. 16-17 serve in this context?
- What is the subject of these 2 verses? What is Paul referring to when he says “all Scripture”?
- What 2 things does v. 16 say the Scripture is? What does the word “inspired” mean here? What are the implications of this for how we think about the Scripture?
- What does the word “profitable” mean? What does v. 16 says the Scripture is profitable for? What do each of these mean?
- What is the goal of Scripture’s inspiration and profitability according to v. 17?
- How should the inspiration of Scripture (v. 16) shape how you approach it?
- How should the profitability of Scripture described in verse 16 shape how you approach it?
- What tendencies do you have in your view of and approach to Scripture that need to be corrected by these verses?
- What areas of your life do you need teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness? Having a hard time? Consider why this might be. Could pride be blinding you from seeing your need for what God says his Word is good for?