Preparing for the Sermon - 1 Cor. 14:33-40
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read 1 Corinthians 12-14. 1. Note the conceptual brackets of v. 33 and 40 – what is Paul talking about in this paragraph? How does this paragraph related to the theme of this chapter? Remind yourself what the main argument of chapters 12-14 is all about.
- What is the command that Paul gives in v. 34? 3. What is the context for this command? 4. Is this only for the Corinthian church? How do we know? What does this command convey about the Corinthians’ practice?
- In light of the emphasis in chapter 14 on speaking in tongues and giving prophecy, what kind of “speaking” is Paul limiting among the women? Is Paul indicating that women many not speak at all when they are at church? How do we know?
- How would women exercising the public speaking gifts in the church be a violation of the created order?
- Who is Paul addressing in v. 37? Note: the word for “spiritual” here is the same word used in 12:1 and 14:1 and is translated as “spiritual gifts”.
- The Sermon Study equipping class notes are available online for anyone wanting to dig deeper. Please review this week's notes to help study this passage. Click here for the notes.
- How do Paul’s commands in v.39 impact us today based on our understanding of 1 Corinthians and the cessation of tongues and the passing away of prophecy with the completion of NT revelation?
- What have you learned from our study in 1 Corinthians 12-14 about life in the church?
- How can you be a more faithful church member based on what you’ve learned in this section of Scripture?
- How has your understanding of the sign gifts been shaped by this section? What questions do you still have about sign gifts specifically or spiritual gifts in general?