Preparing for the Sermon - 1 Cor. 14:26-33
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read 1 Corinthians 14:26-33. What was apparently taking place during the church gatherings?
- What is stated about the gift of tongues being exercised? What about the gift of prophecy?
- Describe the order or organization of the church gatherings being promoted here? Why would this be encouraged?
- When is someone in the gathering instructed to remain silent? Why?
- The Sermon Study equipping class notes are available online for anyone wanting to dig deeper. Please review this week's notes to help study this passage. Click here for the notes.
- Why would order and structure in a church gathering be important? Have you or someone you know been part of a church gathering that was not orderly? What was your perception of that gathering?
- Why do you think someone would be commanded to speak silently to himself and to God, as in vs. 28? What would be the danger of not being silent during the gathering, in these circumstances?
- What is stated about the result of prophecy in the gathering?
- How could vs. 33 be jeopardized if any of these commands are overlooked?