Preparing for the Gathering - Mark 4:35-41
Prepare your heart for our Sunday Morning Gathering by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find tangible suggestions for putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body, links to the songs we will sing, and lyrics for you to prepare for our corporate singing.
Please see the Preparing for the Sermon post for suggestions in thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
This Sunday is DNOW Sunday. This concludes a weekend of focused preaching and discipleship for the students of SWBC. The theme for this year is Cross-Bearing Discipleship, and the DNOW speaker is Nathan Rose. Nathan serves Liberty Baptist Church, Liberty, MO, as Senior Pastor.
As a child, Nathan learned the gospel message by attending church with his family. While he mentally understood that Christ died for his sins, he did not exercise repentance and faith until his senior year of college, when, at the age of 22, the Holy Spirit revealed his sinful condition and enabled him to trust in Jesus Christ. His profession of faith was accompanied by evidence of faith through a changed lifestyle and pursuits, eventually leading him to pursue ministry to equip the saints with sound theology, that the church might fulfill the Great Commission.
Nathan was called as the Senior Pastor of LBC in March 2012, and he serves as the primary preacher and overseer of the vision, leadership, membership, and day-to-day operations of the church. During his time at LBC, Nathan has enjoyed seeing the Lord draw people to himself through the means of gospel proclamation, as people grow in Christ-likeness and in their understanding of God’s Word. He prays regularly that LBC would be a healthy church, displaying God’s character to the world through holiness, unity, and love.
Outside of his ministry in the church, Nathan enjoys spending time with his wife, Rachel, their three children, Hannah, Nathan “Bear”, and Lizzie, and his nieces and nephew. His love for the church has also led him to serve the North American Mission Board and the Clay-Platte Baptist Association by helping to revitalize and assist struggling churches. He recently completed a Ph.D. in Historical Theology at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and loves reading about Charles Spurgeon. If you want to get to know Nathan better, challenge him to a game of Settlers of Catan, buy him a good cup of coffee, or connect with him through one of the links below.
Sunday morning Nathan will be preaching on Mark 4:35-41, “The King of Creation."
- Read Mark 4:35-41
- What is the appropriate response to Jesus in light of this passage?
- How should you live your life in light of God’s patience?
- Are you ever tempted to doubt God’s power? How does this passage help you overcome these doubts?
- In what ways have you been failing to surrender to the King who has power over all things?
- What can you do to grow in your trust in King Jesus?
- Praise God for his power and majesty as King over everything.
- Thank God for his patience when you lack faith and understanding.
- Click the links below to find the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; practice the songs, study the lyrics and sing together.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Rob Stouffer: Elders' prayer & scripture reading; Nathan Rose: teaching.
Songs for Sunday
- God Is For Us (sheetmusic)
- Behold Our God (sheetmusic)
- Be Thou My Vision (sheetmusic)
- I Have a Shelter (sheetmusic)
- Come and Stand Before Your Maker (sheetmusic)