Preparing for the Gathering - Mark 10:32-45
Prepare your heart for our Sunday Morning Gathering by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find tangible suggestions for putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body, links to the songs we will sing, and lyrics for you to prepare for our corporate singing.
This Sunday, Dr. Jason K. Allen, President of Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, will be preaching as a part of our Morning Gathering.
Elected on October 15, 2012, Dr. Jason K. Allen serves as the fifth president of Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, in Kansas City, Mo., and is one of the youngest presidents in all of American higher education. Since coming to Midwestern Seminary, he has led the institution to become one of the largest and fastest growing seminaries in North America.
In addition to his role as President, Dr. Allen serves the institution in the classroom, as a professor for preaching and pastoral ministry. More broadly, he serves the church through his preaching and writing ministries as well. He is the author of two recently-released books, The SBC & the 21st Century (B&H Publishing) and Discerning Your Call to Ministry (Moody Publishing). Dr. Allen regularly posts essays on his website, jasonkallen.com, and hosts a weekly podcast, “Preaching & Preachers,” which can also be found at jasonkallen.com.
Before coming to Midwestern Seminary, Dr. Allen served as a pastor, and as a senior administrator at Southern Seminary in Louisville, Ky. He and his wife, Karen, are both from Mobile, Ala., and have five children: Anne-Marie, Caroline, William, Alden, and Elizabeth.
Please see the Preparing for the Sermon post for suggestions in thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Think about all the ways in your life that you seek to exalt yourself, marriage, parenting, serving others; who gets the glory?
- What are some simple ways to reverse the self-exaltation and exalt Christ in all we do, seeking to serve others, and think of others as more significant than ourselves?
- Pray for God to identify ways in your heart that need attention in this area.
- Look for ways to pass that on to encourage other believers, train and instruct children and grandchildren, reach out to the lost, and increase in righteousness daily.
- Click the links below to find the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; practice the songs, study the lyrics and sing together.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Mark Krystyniak: Elders' prayer & scripture reading; Dr. Jason K. Allen: teaching.
Songs for Sunday
- Come and Stand Before Your Maker
- Come Praise and Glorify
- Christ the Sure and Steady Anchor
- How Deep the Father's Love for Us
- How Firm a Foundation