Preparing for the Gathering - 1 Cor. 13:4-7
Prepare your heart for our Sunday Morning Gathering by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find tangible suggestions for putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body, links to the songs we will sing, and lyrics for you to prepare for our corporate singing.
Please see the Preparing for the Sermon post for suggestions in thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read back through 1 Corinthians 11:1-13:7. How committed are you to the priority of love in the use of your gifts? What can you show that demonstrates the priority of love over exalting the gifts or yourself?
- Can anyone see the presence of love in your use of gifts (long-suffering, not arrogant or rude, rejoice in the truth, etc.)? If not, why not? How can you cultivate love as the driving force?
- Jesus summarizes the entire Old Testament into loving God and loving others as yourself, the greatest two commandments. If these are commandments, how should we respond to this text in light of Paul’s exhortation of love as the greatest motivation and display of the Spirit’s work through us?
- Examine your heart and see what sinful responses prohibit you from truly loving? Are you irritable or resentful when you are not put on display or appreciated? Are you rude to others who earnestly desire the use of your gifts but you don’t see the opportunity as a “true” expression of your gift that will highlight you?
- If you have to bear more and endure more will it expose love or a grumbling untrusting heart? Shouldn’t greater burdens and enduring display greater belief and hope in the eternal Christ who did love in this very way through the work of his life, death, and resurrection? Pray and seek to be more like Christ in his love.
- Click the links below to find the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; practice the songs, study the lyrics and sing together.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Brett Harris: Elders' prayer & scripture reading; Bret Capranica: teaching.
Songs for Sunday
- Rejoice, the Lord Is King
- Come and Stand Before Your Maker
- I Hear the Words of Love
- Oh the Deep Deep Love
- My Redeemer's Love