Preparing for the Gathering - Psalm 34
Prepare your heart for our Sunday Morning Gathering by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find tangible suggestions for putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body, links to the songs we will sing, and lyrics for you to prepare for our corporate singing.
This weekend is Grounded Student Ministries annual DNOW weekend. This is a weekend of biblical exposition, small group discipleship, service, and relationship building. Todd Murray is going to be preaching for DNOW, which means he will also be preaching on Sunday morning. We’ll be looking at various passages throughout the weekend that are specifically directed fostering a biblical fear of God.
Prior to joining the staff of Grace Immanuel in 2011, Todd, a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Moody Graduate School, had been on staff at The Bible Church of Little Rock, Arkansas, for 28 years. He is the author of “Beyond Amazing Grace: Timeless Wisdom from the Letters, Hymns, and Sermons of John Newton” and has composed and recorded several collections of worship songs. In addition to training and shepherding families here at Grace, Todd teaches at The Expositors Seminary. He and his wife Tandy have been married since 1982 and are the parents of 5 children, two grown and married (David Todd and Heather) and three still at home (Blair, Glenn, and Emma Grace)... and two grandchildren.
Please see the Preparing for the Sermon post for suggestions in thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Reread Psalm 34.
- Reflect on what is stated about those who seek the Lord and cry out to Him. How does this encourage you and what does it drive you to do?
- Based on vs. 13-14, what “evil” or sin do you need to abandon? Describe how you could intentionally turn from it and “do good, seek peace and pursue it”. Pray in repentance and ask for the Lord’s help.
- Reflect again on David’s hope in the Lord throughout this Psalm. How does this compare with your view of the Lord and your reliance upon Him?
- Consider a portion or verse from this Psalm you could use in your witness of the Gospel to others (such as vs. 22). Take steps to commit this to memory.
- Intentionally pray for the students of SWBC this week – that the Lord will use the preaching of his Word to convict of sin and offer hope in Christ. Pray that as a result of this weekend the students would fear the Lord more and man less. Pray for the discipling that will take place this weekend between students and their small group leaders. That the leaders would be wise and bold to urge the truth of Scripture specifically into the lives of the students.
- Click the links below to find the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; practice the songs, study the lyrics and sing together.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Rob Stouffer: Elders' prayer & scripture reading; Todd Murray: teaching.