Preparing for Sunday - Nahum
- Read the book of Nahum in one sitting.
- Observe the attributes of the Lord revealed throughout the book, specifically in 1:1-8.
- How will God go about destroying the city of Nineveh (Read 2:3-12)?
- What are the charges against Nineveh; why is God against them (3:1-4)? How are the Ninevites described throughout the book?
- What does Nahum prophesy about God's people (1:12, 13, 15; 2:2)?
- Prayerfully consider how the Lord is described throughout the book. Does this pose any challenges to your current view of Him? What makes God angry?
- What sin does your heart gravitate toward? Could any of the charges brought against Nineveh be brought against us? Prayerfully reflect on the extent of our forgiveness through Christ.
- Consider your attitude toward the Ninevites after reading the account. What is your attitude toward nations and groups that oppose the Lord and His people today? Consider the current nation of Israel in prayer as well as a nation that currently opposes her. Additionally, pray for a nation that opposes the Christian Church today.
- What do the words to Israel and Judah in this book suggest we should take away regarding God's thoughts toward his people as he judges his enemies?
- Continue to reflect on the attributes of God specifically mentioned in this book. Commit a verse from Nahum to memory that reflects one of these.
- Evaluate your relationships with those who are not submitted to Christ. Choose one to share the Gospel with this week being mindful of the coming judgment they are facing in their current state.
- Forsake any of the sins that brought the condemnation on Nineveh that might be present in your own life.
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to instruct our own hearts as well as the remainder of the congregation, including our guests and non-Christians
- Pray for that those who lead our gathering will edify the congregation well: Dawson Bryant, music; Todd Arnold, Corporate Prayer and Scripture Reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Meditate on the lyrics to the songs we will sing on Sunday to prepare yourself in joining with the congregation.
Songs for Sunday
- Your Great Name We Praise
- Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
- God Over All
- Before the Throne of God Above
- How Deep the Father's Love for Us
- Behold the Lamb
More in Latest News
March 21, 2023Preparing for the Sermon - 2 Thessalonians 1:5-10
March 20, 2023Elder's Prayer - March 19
March 16, 2023Preparing for the Gathering - 2 Thessalonians 1:3-4