Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 22:1-14
- Read Matthew 22:1-14
- What strikes you as the most surprising aspects of this parable?
- Reread the previous passage; The Parable of the Tenants (21:33-41). What similarities or differences are there between the responses of the master (ch 21) versus that of the king (ch 22)?
- How would you catagorize the different responses or attitudes of the people in 22:5-6?
- Were there any stipulations as to who would be invited to the wedding feast after the rejection of the first invitation?
- From vs. 11-14, what were the requirements to take part in the wedding celebration? What might these represent?
- Reflect on the passion the king had for the wedding feast. What might this indicate about God's passion for His eternal Kingdom?
- Consider your own preparation for inclusion into the Kingdom of Heaven. What person or groups of people from this parable represent you in your approach to the Kingdom?
- Pray for the hearts of those around you whose attitudes towards the Kingdom are similar to those represented in vs. 5-6.
- Consider how your approach to the gospel may differ from what is portrayed in vs. 11-14.
- Pray for God's work in the hearts of specific people with whom you have been communicating the gospel.
- Consider ways to more readily display your anticipation of the Kingom of Heaven.
- Encourage other Christians around you throughout the week of the eternal hope we have in Christ.
- Pray for non-Christians to be convicted of their need of Christ this Sunday. Pray that Christians will be fruitful in their application of the intent of this passage.
- Pray for those who will be leading the service this week: Joel Conrad, music; Todd Arnold, Elders' prayer and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica, teaching. Pray for protection of their hearts and for their families as the lead us corporately in worship.
- Listen to the music we will be singing on Sunday; think on how corrupt your heart is and how often we are grumbling against the Lord during the week. Let the lyrics replace that grumbling in the week and guide your heart to contentment in your circumstances and prepare you for worshipping our King together.
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering Lyrics - May 24, 2015